Well, I haven’t done a drool-y post in a while, so here’s one of my absolute favourite dishes. It’s called Moroccan Quinoa Salad and it’s heavenly. Give it a try!
I play pretty fast and loose with the recipe – partly because I love olives (the more the merrier!) and dislike cilantro (why did you squirt dish soap on my salad?) and partly because I regularly forget about the almonds I’m toasting and end up burning them to a crisp. That’s a pricey habit.
Anyhow, here’s the recipe. And if you’re not sure what quinoa is, watch the sweet video after the recipe!
3 cups cooked quinoa (1 cup dry)
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sugar
1-1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed
1-1/2 cup corn kernels (about 2 cobs) or defrosted frozen
1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted (not burnt haha)
1/4 cup chopped green or black olives
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Cook quinoa, according to package instructions.
- While quinoa is cooking, whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, cumin, salt and sugar into a vinaigrette in a small bowl.
- Combine quinoa and all remaining ingredients, except fresh herbs, into a medium-sized bowl.
- Drizzle with vinaigrette. Toss to combine.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour to allow flavours to combine. Add fresh herbs just prior to serving. May be served at room temperature.
Nutrients per serving: 407 calories, 17 g fat, 14 g protein, 56 g carbohydrates, 11 g fibre. Excellent source of vitamin E, folic acid, thiamin, iron, zinc, phosphorus and magnesium.
Check out the original recipe here.
Love From Sarah